Featured

Justice Department Puts $1.8 Billion Fund on Hold, Trump Says He’ll Drop it

The Justice Department has put President Donald Trump’s controversial $1.8 billion anti-weaponization fund on hold as legal battles continue to unfold, but Trump may be abandoning the fund altogether.

The fund, created under a settlement following Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service, had many lawmakers concerned over its taxpayer source and vague description of who qualifies. The “slush fund,” as many referred to it, could compensate those who feel they were victims of political persecution under Joe Biden’s administration.

On Monday, the Justice Department said it would comply with a Virginia federal court order temporarily blocking the fund after multiple lawsuits were filed, including from advocacy groups, legal organizations and two Capitol Police officers who argued it could help empower Jan. 6 participants.

However, the Justice Department said on X that it “disagrees strongly” with the court’s decision.

The fund has brought backlash from both Democrats and Republicans.

In his podcast, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) described the intense questioning between Senators and Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche last week. Of the about 45 Senate Republicans who attended, he said “at least half of them were blasting the attorney general.”

Due to this intense backlash in addition to the Justice Department’s decision, a source close to the Trump administration say he is backing down from the fund entirely.

A hearing is still set for June 12 to weigh whether the fund will remain paused or not.

Payton Anderson

Payton Anderson is a reporter for Texas Politics based in Washington, D.C., where she's pursuing her bachelor's degree in journalism at American University. Originally from California, Payton's reporting experience spans all avenues of digital and multimedia publishing. In her free time, she enjoys playing soccer and being outdoors.

Recent Posts

ENGIE Signs 48 MW Solar Agreement to Power Data Centers in Texas

ENGIE has signed a 48 MWac solar power purchase agreement with QTS to supply renewable…

1 day ago

Chip Roy, Steve Cohen Seek to Rein In Emergency Powers

Reps. Chip Roy (R) and Steve Cohen (D-TN) have introduced the ARTICLE ONE Act, which…

1 day ago

Ken Paxton Resolves Case After Baby Gabriel Receives Life-Saving Care

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) has resolved his legal intervention in the case of…

1 day ago

New Poll Moves Texas Governor Race Toward Gina Hinojosa

The Texas Governor's race is becoming increasingly competitive, with the Cook Political Report moving its…

1 day ago

Texas Democrats Press Greg Abbott to Extradite ICE Agent in Minneapolis Shooting

Texas Democrats are urging Governor Greg Abbott (R-TX) to extradite an Immigration and Customs Enforcement…

1 day ago

Senator Mitch McConnell’s Absence Reignites Push for Congressional Term Limits

With Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) now absent from Congress for over 60 days, the question…

1 day ago